OK this recipe is posted in honor of my "long lost" forum buddy....Ventureman. He's the king of hammade soup...and margaritas.
Potato Leek Soup
Step One
Go on the internet and look at potato leek soup recipes for a while. Remember that Karen can't have milk so skip the ones that call for cream. Look for an easy one.
Step Two
Get out the chef's knife that you take with you to Maui. (Remember not to take it next trip since you are not checking luggage.) Chop up the leeks. One bunch should do it unless you are feeding Venture's kids. Then chop up a lil garlic. While you are at it chop up some bacon, a few slices. Don't drop any or turn your back for even a second or that darn dog will jump up and snatch it off the counter.
Step Three
Heat up a pan with some olive oil...EEEE VOH for you Rachel Ray fans. Saute the garlic, bacon and leeks. Add some seasoning now if you like. Salt, pepper, beau monde, anything else in the cupboard that makes sense to go in soup.
Step Four
Chop up the potatoes if you forgot to do that earlier since it wasn't listed. Bobkitty likes to add the "e" if you are speaking of potato plural. A few is fine, like twice the amount of leeks max. Add the potatoes to the soup and a bunch of chicken stock. Now I just learned that Swanson's chicken stock has MSG in it and I have a whole darn case to use up, but from now on I will buy the spendy stuff at Trader Joe's. You need about three cans of it. Most recipes of this size call for 6 cups but what are you going to do with the little bit leftover? Just use all three cans. Recycle those tin cans please.
Don't forget to add some bay leaves. Let it simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Take your hand blender and smush it up as much as you like.
Oh yeah if you have a bottle of two buck chuck dry white wine open you can add some of that...
Enjoy! Great with rosemary potato bread and a crispy salad. Even good with LIITs.


9 comments:
Mom I love this story all wrapped up in a recipe! You have such a way with words, thanks for the good genes!
Hija
Are you saying you like Mommy Jeans? heh heh
Sounds Yummy Karen.
I miss our long lost Venture, as well!
~lori
Great Recipe... attempted to make it last night.
However, while it mentioned to keep an eye on that darn dog... it failed to mention to keep an eye on that bombarding bird, Buddy T (T for Trouble). Next time I will make this recipe under an umbrella...
Venture
Oh crap....pun intended.
OMG, I made leek and potato soup last night-how funny is that! But mine is stupid simple-veggie broth, potatoes and leeks and that's it!!! Shove it all in a pot and boil then simmer-soup for dummies!! Then I add shredded cheese and eat with french bread...yummy! Had a bowl for lunch!
How's Diesel?? Still barking and biting?? Do you have a jolly ball? Check them out-hard plastic!! The best cattle dog ball ever!!
Karen-I'm so sorry you feel like you need to return him to the rescue!! Unfortunately I live in a condo-so two ACD's would be super overwhelming to me!!! They are hard dogs-they aren't for everyone unfortunately! And I really believe that if you have a herding dog-you must let them work. You're in oregon-there are sheep herding trainers in oregon! Would you like me to get their info?
Ken Lyle 38669 Hwy 228 Sweet Home 97386 541-367-7495
Roy Sage 13260 Highway #238 Jacksonville 97630 541-846-7771 email: osage@cdsnet.net
Here are two trainers in oregon-might be worth calling them!!
A recipe I want to make for it tastes good in just reading it.
Post a Comment