September's End

It's 5 AM on the last day of the last month of summer. The train whistle just blew its lonely sound and then I heard a coyote echoing it back. I wonder if it's the same (very well fed) coyote we saw on the way to the airport an hour ago. I often hear the coyotes singing when the train passes, and perhaps they think the train is singing their song. Maybe they are lamenting the end of summer and the coming cold and rain. Maybe they are savoring these late summer days and soaking up every ray of sunshine, just as I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, so beautifully written. I can't believe another year is passing by so quickly. We have so much to be thankful for in this year! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Memories brought up to date. The train whistle blew for me last week. a rare treat. Words do not describe the plaintive cry that echoes in my heart.